Kratom is becoming more and more popular in the United States, but this doesn’t come without a level of controversy. The controversy surrounding it centers on the legality of Kratom, which differs between countries as well as states. The state of Ohio is a great example of the legal challenges Kratom faces.
In this article, you will learn:
- Is Kratom legal in Ohio?
- Will Ohio ban Kratom?
- History of Kratom legislation in Ohio
- Efforts to regulate Kratom
- Restrictions on Kratom use and sale in Ohio
- Guidelines for buying Kratom in Ohio
- How to buy or ship Kratom in Ohio
Is Kratom legal in Ohio?
Kratom is legal in Ohio, but its legality hasn’t come without challenges. The state of Ohio has had a long history of trying to ban Kratom, typically by registering it as a controlled substance.
Kratom is legal for sale, purchase, and use throughout Ohio. No individual bans have been imposed by certain cities or counties in Ohio.
However, although Kratom is legal, there are several restrictions on its sale and use. These restrictions make Kratom slightly difficult to obtain and sell, limiting its use.
Ohio, like most states in the U.S., has a significant population who love Kratom. The popularity of Kratom in Ohio became evident when its people rallied to overturn the ban on Kratom in 2019. Ohio stores are therefore packed with Kratom. You can find it in vape shops, smoke shops, and specialty stores throughout the state.
Will Ohio ban Kratom?
After the attempts in 2019 to ban Kratom, no further attempts have been made in Ohio. There is also no indication that Ohio will renew its attempted ban. However, due to the various restrictions in place on buying and selling Kratom in Ohio, there are often raids and inductions.
History of Kratom legislation in Ohio
Kratom has a long and colorful history in Ohio. Right now, it is legal but lacks regulation as Ohio has not passed the Kratom Consumer Protection Act. This act has been passed in several states in the U.S. and regulates the supply of Kratom to ensure safe consumption for users.
While Kratom is legal in Ohio, it is legal only in its powdered form. This means Kratom capsules, extracts, and edibles are illegal in Ohio.
In 2019, the Ohio Board of Pharmacy voted to classify Kratom as a Schedule 1 substance, which is the same category as LSD and heroin. However, the American Kratom Association began organizing efforts in Ohio to get the board to reverse its decision. These efforts were successful and the categorization of Kratom was delayed.
Kratom remains unclassified in Ohio at the time of writing. However, until the Kratom Consumer Protection Act is put into place in Ohio, there is a high chance of further attempts to classify Kratom as a banned substance.
Efforts to regulate Kratom
In April 2021, a bill was introduced to regulate Kratom and ensure it remains legal. The bill recommends that:
- A person willing to process Kratom has to apply for and obtain a Kratom processing license from the director of agriculture.
- Kratom processors pay an annual license fee.
- All Kratom products undergo lab testing.
- The Department of Agriculture conducts regular random inspections to verify compliance with the new legislation.
- Kratom products are labeled.
- No person or vendor sells, distributes, or manufactures Kratom products that contain dangerous non-Kratom substances or synthetic alkaloids.
- No Kratom product contains more than 2% of 7-hydroxymitragynine of the total alkaloid content.
- Noncompliance with the legislation leads to losing the Kratom processing license or a minor misdemeanor (a fine of up to $150) for the first offense and a fourth-degree misdemeanor (30 days of jail time and/or a $250 fine) for any subsequent offense.
Restrictions on Kratom use and sale in Ohio
There are several restrictions on how Kratom can be used and sold in Ohio. It is illegal to market Kratom as safe for human consumption in Ohio since it is not classified as safe for human consumption by the FDA. Kratom-infused products may not be legally sold, nor may consumable forms of Kratom such as capsules and edibles. Only pure Kratom powder is generally considered completely legal.
Vendors can’t legally sell Kratom for human consumption. This means they can’t answer any questions about dosage or strain effects. Since the quality of Kratom is not regulated in Ohio, your best option is to buy online from an AKA-approved vendor.
Guidelines for buying Kratom in Ohio
Kratom is sold in various shops across the state. The main shops where you can expect to find Kratom include specialty stores, health-food stores, vape shops, smoke stores, and online suppliers.
One of the most convenient ways to purchase Kratom is online. It is easy and efficient, and you can get it sent to wherever you are in the U.S. However, due to the unregulated nature of Kratom, finding a reliable online vendor can feel overwhelming. Here are some tips to help you navigate buying Kratom online:
- Ensure that the vendor you choose is registered with the American Kratom Association (AKA).
- Read plenty of reviews for each online store to ensure customers are satisfied with the product.
- Make sure that lab testing is conducted on all products and that the Kratom is 100% Mitragyna speciosa.
- Before placing your order, contact the vendor if you have any questions or queries.
How to buy or ship Kratom in Ohio
Many individuals living in Ohio choose to buy or ship Kratom due to the legal restrictions in place. Simply find a trusted vendor online and await your package patiently. All shippers are expected to comply with federal and state laws, and it doesn’t matter if your package goes through a state where Kratom is illegal as long as it’s legal in the state the package is arriving.
The bottom line
While Kratom is legal in Ohio, there are certain laws governing its selling and use that differ from what you may be used to. Make sure you check the laws and regulations surrounding Kratom in the given state you live in or are traveling to. By doing this, you will ensure your Kratom journey is one that is safe and stress-free.