21 Jul, 20226
The Kratom Bible
Wouldn’t it be fantastic to be able to find everything you could know about Kratom in one all-encompassing place? The information here has been collected to do just that. We hope that after reading this Kratom Bible, you’ll be better informed about all things Kratom. Come back here again and again as we continue to add and update information.
What is Kratom?
The Kratom tree, also known as Mitragyna speciosa, is a tropical evergreen native to the rain forests of Southeast Asia, specifically Indonesia, Malaysia and Thailand. Kratom trees thrive in this environment due to the hot and humid climate. For centuries, workers in the field have used the leaves of the Kratom tree for medicinal purposes and as a worker’s aid to supply energy and endurance. Kratom leaves contain the two principal alkaloids, Mitragynine and 7-Hydroxymitragynine, which are the ingredients responsible for the benefits experienced with Kratom.
Kratom trees reach heights of up to 100 feet, with varying sizes of glossy green leaves that bear different stem and vein colors depending on the tree’s origin and the age of the leaves. This color defines the color family of the Kratom leaves. Each color family possesses several strains of Kratom and each strain has a unique alkaloid profile and benefits.
Kratom Color Families
There are three main Kratom leaf color families – Green Vein Kratom, Red Vein Kratom and White Vein Kratom. Two fermented strains of Kratom are a product of fermenting different strains of Red Vein Kratom, and these colors are Yellow/Gold and Chocolate. So let’s break down each color strain and see what makes them so different.
Red Vein Kratom
Red Vein strains of Kratom represent some of the most popular strains of Kratom. Reds are higher in the alkaloid Mitragynine, which many reported to provide benefits such as assistance with pain, depression, anxiety, insomnia and opioid withdrawal symptoms. In addition, Red Vein Kratom strains make excellent beginner strains because they typically provide milder, uplifting, and calming effects. Here are some of the most popular strains in the Red Vein color family:
- Red Maeng Da Kratom– The term Maeng Da translates to mean “pimp grade,” so its name declares potency. This Red Vein Strain can act as a mood booster and analgesic. It provides enough stimulation to counter any sedating effect that you would typically experience with a painkiller.
- Red Bali Kratom – Red Bali users reach for this strain when looking for a calming and relaxing experience. This red vein strain offers analgesic properties. Some have used it for treating symptoms of opioid withdrawal.
- Super Red Borneo Kratom – Super Red Borneo can be the perfect combination of euphoria and sustained energy and is also known as a natural option for anti-nausea.
- Red Elephant Kratom – This red vein strain promotes an overall sense of well-being and calm, steady energy without any jitters.
- Red Malay Kratom – Red Malay provides an analgesic effect that may also reduce stress and provides mental clarity.
- Red Bentuangie Kratom – Red Bentuangie is a favorite for Kratom users looking for a sedating effect and a potent analgesic response.
White Vein Kratom
White Vein Kratom is the most stimulating in the Kratom color family, according to the Kratom universe. White Kratom is higher in the alkaloid 7-Hydroxymitragynine. Therefore it provides energy, focus and an overall sense of well-being. Many Kratom aficionados say that White Vein Kratom replaces their morning cup of coffee or supplies energy for a pre-workout. Here are the most popular strains of White Vein Kratom:
- White Maeng Da Kratom – The term Maeng Da translates to mean “pimp grade,” so right off the bat, you know this white vein strain will be a potent one. White Maeng Da can boost your mood, energy and focus and act as an analgesic.
- White Malay Kratom – White Malay has a reputation for increasing energy, focusing, and providing mental clarity.
- White Horn Kratom – White Horn is a rare and potent strain of White Kratom that users say can provide euphoria, energy and an analgesic effect.
- White Samarinda Kratom – This white strain purports to be the most stimulating of all the white strains. A significantly “fast” strain, one shouldn’t take it late in the day. White Samarinda is a go-to strain for bodybuilders and fitness buffs because it acts as a great pre-workout.
Green Vein Kratom
Green Kratom is the median strain of Kratom. Green strains take the best of White and Red strains, possessing analgesic properties, energy, a boost in mood and an overall sense of well-being. Some green strains lean closer to a red, and some are more comparable to a white Kratom strain. Here are some of the most popular strains of Green Kratom:
- Green Maeng Da Kratom – Green Maeng Da is one of those strains that leans closer to a White strain. Maeng Da translates to mean “pimp grade,” and this potent strain is just that, providing tons of energy, a boost in mood and an overall sense of well-being.
- Green Malay Kratom– Green Malay has been said to act as an analgesic at higher doses and at lower doses as a mood booster and a way to alleviate anxiety.
- Super Green Borneo Kratom – Named “super” for its oversized leaves, this green vein strain has been reported to act as an analgesic or stimulant and has been said to be euphoric.
Fermented Kratom Strains
The fermented strains of Kratom are red strains of Kratom that are put through a drying process for different amounts of time, resulting in more potent strains of Red Kratom. There are yellow strains, gold and then chocolate strains. Here’s what makes them different:
Yellow Vein Kratom
Yellow Vein Kratom is a red vein Kratom that is fermented for two days and is said to provide relief from anxiety and lethargy. It also acts as an analgesic. This strain offers mood-boosting effects and is often selected by athletes as a nootropic. The most popular strains of Yellow Kratom are:
- Yellow Borneo Kratom – Yellow Borneo acts as a great nootropic and is said to provide energy while also serving as an analgesic and euphoric.
- Yellow Vietnam Kratom – Yellow Vietnam is said to give you a sense of calm along with boosting your mood and focus.
- Yellow Thai Kratom– This one has been reported to be an excellent analgesic that provides a smooth energy/sedative effect and some euphoria.
Gold Vein Kratom
Gold Vein Kratom is fermented for three days. Kratom users report Gold Kratom is an excellent strain for euphoria and mild energy and for those looking for an analgesic effect as well as relief from anxiety. There is only one Gold Strain of Kratom, Gold Bali. This strain is said to provide a calming yet energetic effect, relieve symptoms of anxiety and insomnia, and act as an analgesic.
Chocolate Kratom is the most fermented Kratom strain and the most sedating. It is also the “slowest” strain of Kratom. Many report excellent results when used to combat insomnia and stress or for an analgesic effect.
Where is Kratom Grown and Harvested?
Kratom trees thrive in damp, hot and humid climates. They are naive to multiple locations in Southeast Asia but are most commonly found in the rainforests of Indonesia, Malaysia and Thailand. These tropical evergreen trees are also found in these same regions on riversides or other landscapes with humid and warm environments. A very large portion of Kratom is grown and harvested on the massive Southeast Asian island of Borneo. Borneo is so massive that it accounts for three countries Malaysia, Indonesia and Brunei and Kratom is grown and harvested in each.
What is Kratom Used for?
Kratom has several reported benefits that can change your day-to-day life for the better when consumed regularly. Here are the most common effects reported by Kratom users:
- Distraction from Pain
- Energy Promotion
- Stress Relief
- Help with sleep
- Mood-Boosting Properties
- Improved Focus
- Improved Stamina
- Nootropic Effects
- Pre-Workout Alternative
Kratom as an Analgesic
The CDC or the Center for Disease Control reports that one in five Americans will suffer from chronic pain in their lifetime. One of the most common benefits of Kratom is its reported success as an analgesic. Most of them have to take either an over-the-counter or a prescription medicine daily as a result. But many people have had poor results and side effects with pharmaceuticals. Many are seeking natural alternatives to relieve pain. As a 100 percent natural plant, Kratom is one of these natural alternatives. Some Kratom strains most commonly used as an analgesic are:
These strains are higher in the alkaloid Mitragynine, which is said to be responsible for the analgesic response one can experience with Kratom.
Kratom for Relief of Stress and Depression
Anxiety and depression are heavily prevalent in our culture today. The Anxiety and Depression Association of America reports that every year 40 million adults are affected by anxiety disorders and depression. Many of them left feeling desperate for relief from these often crippling disorders. Many pharmaceuticals treat symptoms of depression, but the debilitating side effects and the inconsistency of their effectiveness frustrate many. Kratom is one of the alternatives that people have reported success with. Here are the most popular strains of Kratom used for relief of symptoms of stress and depression:
Kratom as a Nootropic
Nootropics are any substance used to boost the brain’s cognitive function and productivity. They are often referred to as “smart drugs” and are used by students and athletes for increased focus, endurance and stamina. Kratom has been reported to have become a more popular nootropic in recent years. Certain strains of Kratom are said to provide cognitive benefits and make it the perfect option for anyone looking for a “smart drug.” Here are the strains of Kratom most commonly used as a nootropic:
The Main Alkaloids Found in Kratom
While several different alkaloids are found in Kratom, two, in particular, are responsible for the bulk of the benefits you experience when consuming Kratom. These alkaloids are Mitragynine and 7-Hydroxymitragynine. Here is a breakdown of the benefits each alkaloid is reported to provide:
Mitragynine– Mitragynine is the primary alkaloid found in Kratom and is reported to be responsible for such benefits as relief from anxiety and depression. Many report an analgesic response, and others say it can assist with symptoms of opioid withdrawal. Here are the Kratom strains that contain higher amounts of Mitragynine:
7-Hydroxymitragynine– 7-Hydroxymitragynine or 7-OH is the second primary alkaloid found in Kratom. 7-OH is said to be responsible for providing energy, improved focus and an overall sense of well-being. White Vein Strains of Kratom are known for having the highest amounts of 7-OH. Here are a few strains very high in this alkaloid:
Legality of Kratom
One question that comes up most often from people new to Kratom is whether or not Kratom is legal. The short answer to this is yes, Kratom is legal at a federal level in the United States. However, each state has its laws regarding the legality of Kratom. This ranges from being completely banned in some states to legal with provisions in other states and legal with no provisions in others. The American Kratom Association (AKA) has an up-to-date map that shows the current Kratom laws for each state.
Six states have made Kratom illegal: Alabama, Arkansas, Indiana, Vermont, Rhode Island, and Wisconsin. Two other locations have severe restrictions: San Diego, California and the county of Sarasota in Florida.
Top Ways to Consume Kratom
There are several ways in which you can consume Kratom. Some are simple and seemingly effortless, while others are much more intricate and time-consuming. Here are the most popular ways to take and prepare your Kratom.
The Toss N Wash Method
The most common method for Kratom consumption is called the “Toss ‘n Wash” method. This method is precisely what it sounds like. You measure out Kratom powder to your desired amount, toss it into the back of your mouth and wash it down with your beverage of choice. Citrus juices are highly recommended here as they act as a potentiator with Kratom and can increase effectiveness. This is not the best method to use if you are looking to disguise the bitter flavor of Kratom, but it’s simple and gets the job done.
Kratom Mixes and Shakes
For those who already make a protein or nutrition shake in the morning to start your day, this method is probably the easiest one to add to your daily routine. It’s as simple as blending your Kratom powder into your shake. Chocolate milk and citrus juices are two of the most popular beverages used to mix with Kratom. Chocolate milk neutralizes the tannins in Kratom and reduces bitterness. Citrus juices such as grapefruit juice, orange juice and lemonade are good mixes, but caution is advised because they can act as a potentiator for Kratom, making your Kratom more potent.
If you are looking for the most straightforward and least time-consuming method to take your Kratom, capsules are the way to go. Kratom Capsules are premeasured Kratom powder in a gel capsule that you just pop in your mouth and wash down with your beverage of choice. This method is also extremely popular since you can take your capsules with you anywhere you go, and they are mess-free. The only downside to Kratom capsules is that they are a bit more expensive. So it comes down to how much convenience and time are worth to you.
While Kratom tea is probably the most time-consuming method for taking your Kratom, many users love to use this method as it can be a great way to start your day and an excellent way to treat yourself if you make it properly.
There are several different methods for making Kratom tea, but there are a few things you can do to ensure that you get the highest potency and best flavor out of your tea. Here are these steps:
- Use Hot, Not Boiling Water – Boiling water decreases the alkaloid content, which is responsible for the benefits you experience with Kratom.
- Add an Acid – Adding an acid such as lemon juice or apple cider vinegar can potentiate Kratom (make it more potent). It can also counter any chance of weakening Kratom through heating.
- Add a Sweetener- This step cuts the bitterness of the Kratom and adds some flavor to make it taste better.
- Stir Your Tea Thoroughly – This step applies more to Kratom tea made from Kratom powder, but it is essential to make sure you prevent clumping. Many Kratom users find it helps to use a matcha tea whisk to break the powder up.
Check out how to make your Kratom tea using the different methods here.
Is Kratom Addictive?
Kratom is in the Rubiaceae (coffee plant family). So just as your body can become addicted to coffee or the caffeine found in coffee, so too can you become addicted to Kratom. So it is important to note that if you tend to become addicted to substances like caffeine or sugar quickly, then you just need to make sure and monitor your consumption and take Kratom breaks to keep your tolerance down.
Tolerance with Kratom
Just like any daily coffee drinker will eventually have to increase their amount of daily cups consumed, the same can be said for people who consume Kratom regularly. The trick to keeping your Kratom tolerance down is to follow some if not all of these steps here:
- Strain Rotation– When you take the same Kratom strain daily or regularly, your tolerance for that strain will increase. That requires you to take more of the strain to experience the same effects. So choosing multiple strains, and rotating between them throughout the week can help you keep your tolerance level for each strain down. Purchasing your Kratom in Kratom Sample Packs can help you to keep the cost of this method down.
- Mixing Up Your Energy Sources– If you have replaced your morning cup of coffee with a strain of Kratom (like White Samarinda), then this method is as simple as rotating back and forth between your coffee or other caffeinated beverage and your Kratom. It’s called energy source confusion and works to keep your Kratom tolerance down. Another strategy is to take lower amounts of Kratom on alternating days. Just add a caffeinated beverage on those days to make up for the difference.
- Taking Days Off– Another method is to take one or multiple days off each week from your Kratom. These days you can offset any possible withdrawal symptoms by taking other natural supplements such as turmeric as an analgesic or valerian root for insomnia.
A potentiator is any medicine, herb or supplement that, when added to another supplement, has the ability to increase the benefits of that supplement. Kratom has several potentiators that have the possibility of not only making the effects stronger but also able to make the effects of the Kratom last longer. Here are the top potentiators for Kratom:
- Grapefruit Juice– Grapefruit juice is not only a great way to mask the flavor of Kratom, but it is also one of its most effective potentiators. The citric acid in grapefruit juice is reported to increase the intensity of your Kratom and lengthen the amount of time you will experience those benefits.
- Watercress – Watercress is said to be yet another fantastic Kratom potentiator. It both increases the effects of Kratom and lengthens the duration. The added benefit of using watercress as your Kratom potentiator is that it acts as a powerful antioxidant and has cancer-fighting benefits.
- Turmeric – Turmeric is a spice with an active ingredient called curcumin. Because of this active ingredient, turmeric has been reported to work as an anti-inflammatory, increasing energy and mobility. When added to Kratom, turmeric is reported to be the most potent potentiator. Kratom users have said that it gave them the most significant boost in effects and longevity of effects. When you add Bioperine (Black Pepper Extract) to your turmeric, the effects are said to be even stronger.
For those of you looking for a much more potent form of Kratom, you might have heard about Kratom extracts. Kratom extracts are by far the most potent form of Kratom available, with concentrations of alkaloid contents reaching 50 times the potency of that of primary forms of Kratom like Kratom Powder or Crushed Kratom Leaves. Kratom extracts come in powder, oil, tinctures and even a concentrated liquid form, each with varying concentrations ranging from 10X the average Kratom concentration to up to 50X the concentration. Here are three different ways Kratom extracts are made:
- Tea Extract– This is the least complicated way to extract your Kratom, and it will also result in the lowest concentration boost of any of the Kratom extract processes. This process is simply done by steeping your Kratom powder in hot but not boiling water. The longer you allow your Kratom to steep, the more potent your extract will be.
- Water-Based Kratom Extract– This process is considerably more complicated and lengthy than making a tea extract, but it results in a much more concentrated extract. For this process, you will need crushed Kratom leaves, water and ethanol. You will dissolve the Kratom leaves in a mixture of water and ethanol in a sealable glass container. Once the Kratom leaves have been dissolved, you will then add a citric acid of choice, such as lemon juice which will act as a preservative. Once wholly mixed, place the sealed jar in a cool, dark place to steep it for one or two weeks. After half of the solution has evaporated, strain the remaining portion. Store the strained concentration in a dark container to maintain potency.
- Resin Extract- Resin extract is a semi-solid form of Kratom instead of a liquid and is the most potent of the three extracts. The resin extract process is more complex, but it is shorter than that of the water-based. To produce resin extract, take your Kratom powder, put it in a sealable glass container, put in just enough water to cover the Kratom powder, and then add citric acid. Leave the mixture in a cool dark place to steep overnight. You will then freeze the mixture. Once the mixture is frozen, you will add it to just enough boiling water to cover the mixture and add in more citric acid. Allow simmering until a quarter of the water is gone. Then you will cool the mixture and strain it. Once partially evaporated, you will again simmer in hot water and add citric acid. This will allow for maximum potency. Finally, you will place the final product in an oven-safe dish and place it in the oven heated between 150°-200° and allow it to heat until the water has evaporated and you are left with a thick resin. Store the resin extract in a dark container to maintain potency.
You may or may not have heard about a side effect that can take place when consuming Kratom called the Kratom Wobbles. “The Wobbles” is a term created by Kratom users who have experienced an irritating eye twitch when consuming too much Kratom at once. It is reported that when you get the wobbles, your eye twitches and makes it hard to focus without straining your eyes. The wobbles have been compared to drinking too much alcohol and feeling like the room is spinning. Kratom wobbles sometimes also lead to nausea and a headache. The best way to avoid getting the Kratom wobbles is to start with smaller amounts of a Kratom strain until you know how your body will handle it.
There are Kratom strains that are more likely to cause the wobbles, and these strains are:
How to Combat the Wobbles
Here are two popular methods for fighting the wobbles:
- Activated Charcoal– Activated charcoal is a supplement you can take that will absorb the excess Kratom from your system.
- Carbonated Beverages– The carbon dioxide in carbonated beverages can be used to speed up the time it takes for your body to process your Kratom. So drinking any non-alcoholic carbonated beverage is another way to get rid of the wobbles faster.