Wouldn’t be fantastic to be able to sum up everything you could possibly know about Kratom in one all-encompassing article? The information here has been collected to do just that. We hope that after reading this Kratom Bible you will be as informed as possible about all things Kratom.
What is Kratom?
The Kratom tree, also known as Mitragyna Speciosa, is native to the rain forests of Southeast Asia, specifically Indonesia, Malaysia and Thailand. Kratom trees thrive in this environment due to the hot and humid climate. It is a tropical evergreen tree and it is the leaves of the Kratom tree that have been used for centuries for medicinal purposes and as a workers aid as it is reported to supply energy and endurance as one of its many benefits. Kratom leaves contain the two main alkaloids Mitragynine and 7-Hydroxymitragynine which are the ingredients that are responsible for the benefits you experience with Kratom.
Kratom trees are quite tall, reaching heights of up to 100 feet, with varying sizes of green glossy leaves that bare different stem and vein colors depending on the origin of the tree. This color defines the color family of the Kratom leaves and each color family possesses several different strains of Kratom within it, each strain with its own unique alkaloid profile and so its own unique benefits.
Kratom Color Families
There are three actual Kratom leaf color families- Green Vein Kratom, Red Vein and White. Then two fermented strains of Kratom are a product of fermenting different strains of Red Vein Kratom and these colors are Yellow/Gold and Chocolate. Let’s break down each color strain and see what makes them so different.
Red Vein Kratom
Red Vein strains of Kratom represent some of the most popular strains of Kratom out there. Reds are higher in the alkaloid Mitragynine which is reported to provide benefits such as assistance with pain, depression, anxiety, insomnia and even opioid withdrawal symptoms. Many Red vein Kratom strains make excellent beginner strains as they are typically described as milder, uplifting and calming strains. Here are some of the most popular strains in the Red Vein color family:
- Red Maeng Da Kratom– The term Maeng Da translated to mean “pimp grade” so its name itself declares potency. This red vein strain is reported to act as a mood booster, analgesic and provides enough stimulation to counter any sedating effect that you would typically experience with an analgesic.
- Red Bali Kratom– Red Bali is the strain Kratom users reach for when they are looking for a calming and relaxing experience. This red vein strain is also known for its analgesic properties and to be used for treating symptoms of opioid withdrawal.
- Super Red Borneo Kratom– Super Red Borneo is reported to be the perfect combination of euphoria and sustained energy and is also known as a natural option for anti-nausea.
- Red Elephant Kratom– This red vein strain is said to promote an overall sense of well-being and calm steady energy without any jitters.
- Red Malay Kratom– Red Malay is said to be the most analgesic strain out there that also acts to reduce stress and provide mental clarity.
- Red Bentuangie Kratom– Red Bentuangie is a favorite for Kratom users looking for a sedating effect as well as a strong analgesic response
White Vein Kratom
White Vein Kratom has been defined by the Kratom universe as the most stimulating Kratom color family. White Kratom is higher in the alkaloid 7-Hydroxymitragynine which is said to provide energy, focus and an overall sense of well-being. White Kratom has been known to be used as a replacement for your morning cup of coffee and as a pre-workout. Here are the most popular strains of White Vein Kratom:
- White Maeng Da Kratom– The term Maeng Da translates to mean “pimp grade” so right off the bat you know this white vein strain will be a potent one. White Maeng Da is said to boost your mood, energy and focus and also act as an analgesic.
- White Malay Kratom– White Malay has a reputation for increasing energy, focus and for providing mental clarity.
- White Horn Kratom– White Horn is a rare and potent strain of white Kratom. It is said to provide euphoria, energy and an analgesic effect.
- White Samarinda Kratom– This white strain is reported to be the most stimulating of all the white strains. It is said that it is an extremely “fast” strain and should not be taken late in the day. White Samarinda is a go-to strain got bodybuilders and fitness buffs as it is said to act as a great pre-workout.
Green Vein Kratom
Green Kratom strains are the median strains of Kratom. Green strains take the best of white strains and red strains and combine the two into a well-balanced strain. They are said to possess analgesic properties, energy, a boost in mood and an overall sense of well-being. Some green strains lean closer to a red and some closer to a white Kratom strain. Here are some of the most popular strains of Green Kratom:
- Green Maeng Da Kratom– Green Maeng Da is one of those strains that leans closer to a White strain. Maeng Da translates to mean “pimp grade” and this powerful strain is just that. It is reported to provide a ton of energy, a boost in mood and an overall sense of well-being.
- Green Malay Kratom– Green Malay has been said to act as an analgesic at higher doses and at lower doses as a mood booster and a way to alleviate anxiety.
- Super Green Borneo Kratom– Named “super” for its oversized leaves, this green vein strain has been reported to act as an analgesic, stimulant and has been said to be euphoric.
Fermented Kratom Strains
The fermented strains of Kratom are red strains of Kratom that are put through a drying process for different amounts of time resulting in more potent strains of red Kratom. There are yellow strains, gold and then chocolate. Here are what makes them different:
Yellow Vein Kratom
Yellow Vein Kratom is a red vein Kratom that is fermented for 2 days and is said to provide relief from anxiety and lethargy, act as an analgesic and mood-boosting effect and are often used as a nootropic for athletes. The most popular strains of yellow Kratom are:
- Yellow Borneo Kratom– This yellow strain is reported to be a great nootropic as it is said to provide a decent amount of energy and act as an analgesic and euphoric.
- Yellow Vietnam Kratom– Yellow Vietnam is said to give you a sense of calm along with boost your mood and focus.
- Yellow Thai Kratom– This one has been reported to be an excellent analgesic that provides a smooth energy/sedative effect and some euphoria.
Gold Vein Kratom
Gold Vein Kratom is fermented for 3 days and Kratom users report Gold Kratom is a great strain for euphoria, mild energy and those looking for an analgesic effect as well as relief from anxiety. There is only one Gold Strain of Kratom and that is Gold Bali and this strain is said to provide a calming yet energetic effect and relieve symptoms of anxiety and insomnia and act as an analgesic.
Chocolate Kratom is the most fermented strain of Kratom and the most sedating as well. Chocolate is the “slowest” strain of Kratom in existence and is reported to be a great strain for combating insomnia, stress and an analgesic effect.
Where is Kratom Grown and Harvested?
Kratom trees thrive in damp, hot and humid climates. They are naive to multiple locations in Southeast Asia but are most commonly found in the rainforests of Indonesia, Malaysia and Thailand. These tropical evergreen trees are also known to be found in these same regions on riversides or any other landscape with humid and warm environments. A very large portion of Kratom is grown and harvested on the massive Southeast Asian island of Borneo. Borneo is so massive that it accounts for three countries Malaysia, Indonesia and Brunei and Kratom is grown and harvested in each.
What is Kratom Used for?
Kratom has several reported benefits that can change your day to day life for the better when consumed regularly. Here are the most common effects reported by Kratom users:
- Distraction from Pain
- Energy Promotion
- Stress Relief
- Help with sleep
- Mood Boosting Properties
- Improved Focus
- Improved Stamina
- Nootropic Effects
- Pre-Workout Alternative
Kratom as an Analgesic
One of the most common benefits of Kratom that draws people to this natural supplement is its reported success as an analgesic. It has been reported by the CDC or the Center for Disease Control that 1 in 5 Americans will suffer from some type of chronic pain in their lifetime. Most of them have to take either an over the counter or a prescription medicine daily as a result. But many people have had it with the side effects of pharmaceuticals and are now turning to natural alternatives to attempt to relieve them from their pain. Kratom is one of these natural alternatives and here are strains most commonly used as an analgesic:
All of these strains are higher in the alkaloid Mitragynine which is said to be responsible for the analgesic response you experience with Kratom.
Kratom for Relief of Stress and Depression
Anxiety and depression are heavily prevalent in our culture today. The Anxiety and Depression Association of America reports that every year 40 million adults are affected by anxiety disorders and depression. Many of them left feeling desperate for relief from these often crippling disorders. While there is a multitude of pharmaceuticals out there being used to treat symptoms of them, many people are fed up with the debilitating side effects of these drugs as well as the inconsistency of their effectiveness. So this is yet another case of people trying to find natural alternatives for relief and Kratom is one of the alternatives that people have reported to have success with. Here are the most popular strains of Kratom used for relief of symptoms of stress and depression:
Kratom as a Nootropic
Nootropics are any substance used to boost the brain’s cognitive function and productivity. They are oftentimes referred to as “smart drugs” and are used by students as well as athletes for increased focus, endurance and stamina. Kratom has been reported to have become a more popular nootropic in recent years. Certain strains of Kratom are said to provide cognitive benefits and so make it the perfect option for anyone looking for a “smart drug”. Here are the strains of Kratom most commonly used as a nootropic:
The Main Alkaloids Found in Kratom
While there are several different alkaloids found in Kratom there are two in particular that are responsible for the bulk of the benefits that you experience when consuming Kratom. These alkaloids are Mitragynine and 7-Hydroxymitragynine. Here is a breakdown of the benefits each alkaloid is reported to provide:
Mitragynine– Mitragynine is the main alkaloid found in Kratom and is reported to be responsible for such benefits as relief from anxiety and depression, an analgesic response and has even been said to assist with symptoms of opioid withdrawal. Here are the Kratom strains that contain higher amounts of Mitragynine:
7-Hydroxymitragynine– 7-Hydroxymitragynine or 7-OH is the secondary main alkaloid found in Kratom. 7-OH is said to be responsible for providing energy, improved focus and an overall sense of well-being. White Vein Strains of Kratom are known for having the highest amounts of 7-OH. Here are a few strains very high in this alkaloid:
Legality of Kratom
One question that comes up most often from people who are new to Kratom is whether or not Kratom is legal or not. Well, the short answer to this is yes, Kratom is legal at a federal level here in the United States. However, each state holds its own individual laws for the legality of Kratom and this ranges from being completely banned in some states, legal with provisions in some and completely legal with no provisions in others. The American Kratom Association or AKA has an up-to-date map that shows the current Kratom laws for each state.
There are currently 8 places in the United States- In the states of Alabama, Arkansas, Indiana, Vermont, Rhode Island, Wisconsin and in the city of San Diego, California and the county of Sarasota in Florida.
Top Ways to Consume Kratom
There are several ways in which you can consume your Kratom. Some are very simple and seemingly effortless while others are much more intricate and time-consuming. Here are the most popular ways to take and prepare your Kratom.
The Toss N Wash Method
The most common method for the consumption of Kratom is what is called the “Toss N Wash” method. This method is exactly what it sounds like. You simply measure out your Kratom powder to your desired amount, toss it into the back of your mouth and wash it down with your beverage of choice. Citrus juices are highly recommended here as they act as a potentiator with Kratom and can increase the effectiveness. This is not the best method to use if you are looking to disguise the bitter flavor of Kratom, but it’s simple and gets the job done.
Kratom Mixes and Shakes
For those of you who already make a protein or nutrition shake in the morning to start your day, this method is probably the easiest one to add to your daily routine because it is as simple as blending your Kratom powder into your shake. Two other popular beverages to mix your Kratom with or add to your shake are chocolate milk as it neutralizes the tannins in Kratom reducing the bitterness and citrus juices such as grapefruit juice, orange juice and lemonade as they have been reported to act as a potentiator for Kratom and so can make your Kratom more potent.
If you are looking for the simplest and least time-consuming method to take your Kratom this method and form of Kratom is the one for you. Kratom Capsules are simply premeasured Kratom powder in a gel capsule that you just pop in your mouth and wash down with your beverage of choice as you would any other supplement. This method is also extremely popular since you can take your capsules with you anywhere you go and they are mess-free. The only downside to Kratom capsules is that due to the time-consuming process of packaging the capsules tend to be on the pricey side. So it comes down to how much convenience and time are worth to you.
While Kratom tea is probably the most time-consuming method for taking your Kratom, many Kratom users love to use this method as it can be a great way to start your day as well as a nice way to treat yourself if you make it properly.
There are several different methods to making Kratom tea, but there are a few things that you can do with each of these methods to ensure that you get the highest potency and best flavor out of your tea. Here are these steps:
- Use Hot, Not Boiling Water- Boiling water decreases the alkaloid content, which is responsible for the benefits you experience with Kratom.
- Add an Acid- Adding an acid such as lemon juice or apple cider vinegar can potentiate (make stronger) your Kratom and counter any chance of weakening the Kratom through the heating process.
- Add a Sweetener- This step is obviously to cut the bitterness of the Kratom and add some flavor to make it taste better.
- Stir Your Tea Thoroughly- This step applies more to Kratom tea made from Kratom powder but is important to make sure you prevent clumping. Many Kratom users find it helps to use a matcha tea whisk to break the powder up.
Check out how to make your Kratom tea using the different methods here.
Is Kratom Addictive?
Kratom is in the Rubiaceae or the coffee plant family and so just as your body can become addicted to coffee or the caffeine found in coffee so too can you become addicted to Kratom. So it is important to note that if you tend to become addicted to substances like caffeine or sugar easily then you just need to make sure and monitor your consumption and to take Kratom breaks to keep your tolerance down.
Tolerance with Kratom
Just like any daily coffee drinker will eventually have to increase their amount of daily cups consumed, the same can be said for people who consume Kratom regularly. The trick to keeping your Kratom tolerance down is to follow some if not all of these steps here:
- Strain Rotation– When you take the same Kratom strain daily or regularly the chances are your tolerance for that strain will go up requiring you to take more of the strain to experience the same effects. So choosing multiple strains that you like as rotating between them throughout the week can help you keep your tolerance level for each strain down. Purchasing your Kratom in Kratom Sample Packs can help you to keep your cost of this method down.
- Mixing Up Your Energy Sources– If you have replaced your morning cup of coffee with a strain of Kratom that has been reported to increase energy like for instance White Samarinda, then this method is as simple as rotating back and forth between your coffee or other caffeinated beverage and your Kratom. It’s called energy source confusion and works to keep your Kratom tolerance down. Another strategy is to take lower amounts of Kratom on alternating days and to add a caffeinated beverage on those days to make up for the difference.
- Taking Days Off– Another method is to take one or multiple days off each week from your Kratom. On these days you can offset any possible withdrawal symptoms by taking other natural supplements such as turmeric as an analgesic or valerian root for insomnia.
A potentiator is any medicine, herb or supplement that when added to another supplement has the ability to increase the benefits of that supplement. Kratom has several potentiators that have the possibility of not only making the effects stronger but also the ability to make the effects of the Kratom last longer. Here are the top potentiators for Kratom:
- Grapefruit Juice– Grapefruit juice is not only a great way to mask the flavor of Kratom, but it is also one of the most effective potentiators for it. The citric acid in grapefruit juice is reported to increase the intensity of your Kratom and lengthen the amount of time you will experience those benefits.
- Watercress– Watercress is said to be yet another fantastic Kratom potentiator. It both increases the effects of Kratom and lengthens the duration. The added benefit of using watercress as your Kratom potentiator is that on its own watercress acts as a powerful antioxidant and has cancer-fighting benefits.
- Turmeric– Turmeric is a spice that has an active ingredient called curcumin and because of this active ingredient turmeric on its own has been reported to work as an anti-inflammatory, increase energy and increase mobility. When added to Kratom turmeric is reported to be the most potent potentiator of all. Kratom users have said that it gave them the greatest boost in effects and longevity of effects. When you add Bioperine (Black Pepper Extract) to your turmeric the effects are said to be even stronger.
For those of you looking for a much stronger form of Kratom, you might have heard about Kratom extracts. Kratom extracts are by far the most potent form of Kratom available with concentrations of alkaloid contents reaching 50 times the potency of that of basic forms of Kratom like Kratom powder or Crushed Kratom Leaves. Kratom extracts come in the form of powder, oil, tinctures and even a concentrated liquid form each with varying concentrations ranging from 10X the normal Kratom concentration to up to 50X the concentration. Here are three different ways Kratom extracts are made:
- Tea Extract– This is the least complicated way to extract your Kratom and it will also result in the lowest concentration boost of any of the Kratom extract processes. This process is simply done by steeping your Kratom powder in hot, but not boiling water. The longer you allow your Kratom to steep the stronger your extract will be.
- Water-Based Kratom Extract– This process is considerably more complicated and lengthy than making a tea extract, but it results in a much more concentrated extract. For this process, you will need crushed Kratom leaves, water and ethanol. You will dissolve the Kratom leaves in a mixture of water and ethanol in a sealable glass container. Once the Kratom leaves have been dissolved you will then add a citric acid of choice such as lemon juice that will act as a preservative. Once completely mixed place the sealed jar in a cool and dark place for 1 to 2 weeks to steep. Once half of the solution has evaporated you will then strain the remaining portion of it. Store the strained concentration in a dark container to maintain potency.
- Resin Extract- Resin extract is a semi-solid form of Kratom instead of a liquid and is the most potent of the three extracts. The resin extract process is more difficult, but it is shorter than that of water-based. To produce resin extract you will take your Kratom powder and put it in a sealable glass container and put in just enough water to cover the Kratom powder and then add a citric acid. Leave the mixture in a cool dark place to steep overnight. You will then freeze the mixture. Once the mixture is frozen you will then add it to just enough boiling water to cover the mixture and add in more citric acid. Allow to simmer until a quarter of the water is gone. Then you will cool the mixture and strain it. Once partially evaporated you will simmer in hot water and add citric acid once more. This will allow for maximum potency. Finally, you will place the final product in an oven-safe dish and place it in the oven heated between 150°-200° and allow to heat until the water has evaporated and you are left with a thick resin. Store the resin extract in a dark container to maintain potency.
You may or may not have heard about a side effect that can take place when consuming Kratom called the Kratom Wobbles. “The Wobbles” is a term that was created by Kratom users that have experienced an irritating eye twitch when consuming too much Kratom at once. It is reported that when you get the wobbles your eye twitches and makes it hard to focus without straining your eyes. The wobbles have been compared to drinking too much alcohol and feeling like the room is spinning. Kratom wobbles sometimes also lead to nausea and a headache. The best way to avoid getting the Kratom wobbles is to always start with smaller amounts of a bee Kratom strain until you know how your body will handle it.
There are Kratom strains that are more likely to cause the wobbles and these strains are:
How to Combat the Wobbles
Here are two popular methods for fighting the wobbles:
- Activated Charcoal– Activated charcoal is a supplement you can take that will absorb the excess Kratom from your system.
- Carbonated Beverages– The carbon dioxide in carbonated beverages can be used to speed up the time it takes for your body to process your Kratom. So drinking any non-alcoholic carbonated beverage is another way to get rid of the wobbles faster.