Kratom has been used for centuries in Southeast Asia as a natural remedy for pain, a sedative, and, in smaller doses, a stimulant for increased energy and focus. The power of Kratom is in its leaves, but what do those leaves actually contain, and how does Kratom interact with the body?
In this article, you will learn the answers to these questions:
- How does Kratom work?
- What are the effects of Kratom?
- What are the side effects of Kratom?
- What are popular strains for an energy and focus boost and a euphoric effect?
- What are popular strains for a sedative and analgesic effect?
How does Kratom work?
Kratom contains over 40 alkaloids, which are plant-derived nitrogen-containing chemical compounds that have a physiological effect on human beings.
The two main alkaloids in Kratom are mitragynine and 7-hydroxymitragynine. These act in a similar way to opioid drugs by interacting with the opioid receptors in the brain, although they are reported to be much less addictive and much safer than other opioids.
In small amounts, these alkaloids can boost focus and energy and give a general feeling of well-being. This is because they interact with the brain’s neurotransmitters, such as serotonin, norepinephrine, and dopamine.
In larger amounts, Kratom’s alkaloids have sedative and analgesic effects and are used for relaxation and pain relief. These effects are due to their interaction with the opioid receptors in the brain, which lowers pain perception and causes the skeletal muscles to relax.
What are the effects of Kratom?
Kratom’s effects can depend on the strain and vein, but the main determining factor is the dosage.
Generally, low doses of Kratom have the following effects:
- Mood elevation and a feeling of euphoria or well-being
- Increased ability to concentrate or focus
- Increased energy and endurance
- Increased sociability and confidence
- Possibly increased sexual desire
Generally, higher doses of Kratom have the following effects:
- May ease pain or discomfort
- May help with reducing anxiety and give a feeling of calm
- May sometimes help with weaning off more dangerous opioids, such as heroin
- May produce a dreamlike state
In higher doses, the effects can also be felt within 30-40 minutes of taking the Kratom, depending on the form (powder/capsule/tea/extract) you take, and can last up to six hours.
What are the side effects of Kratom?
The side effects of Kratom depend on the person. Some people experience no side effects, while others experience a few. It’s a good idea to start with small doses of Kratom to see how it affects you and then increase the dosage gradually. If you start with a big dose, you may be more likely to experience side effects.
We also recommend taking Kratom on an empty stomach to help avoid the most common side effect, which is nausea.
Generally, low doses of Kratom can have the following side effects:
- Sweating and increased body temperature
- Shaking or tremors
- Increased heart rate
- Tingling in the fingers or toes
Generally, higher doses of Kratom can have the following side effects:
- Blotchy skin on the face
- Depressed breathing
- A delayed orgasm (mainly in men)
What Kratom strains give an energy and focus boost and a euphoric effect?
For these effects, you should take a smaller dose, and you can even microdose (1 gram) for a boost. White and Green Vein Kratom are good for stimulating and energizing effects.
- White Super Strains and White Horn often give a stimulant effect.
- Green or White Maeng Da are reported to give a euphoric effect.
- Green Malay helps with focus and acts as a stimulant.
- Green Bali may act as a stimulant, while White Bali can give a feeling of well-being.
- Green Velvet, Super Green strains, and White Samarinda are reported to boost mood and lift the spirits.
What are popular strains for sedative and analgesic effects?
For pain relief, a strain that is higher in mitragynine is recommended because this alkaloid is responsible for acting on the opioid receptors to reduce your perception of pain.
- Red Thai and Red Bali are reported to dull pain.
- Red or Green Maeng Da can also be taken for pain relief.
- Green Super Strains have a pain-relieving effect.
- Borneo Kratom is known for its sedative effects.
- Indo Kratom is said to bring relaxation and serenity and to relieve pain.
- Gold Bali, Yellow Vietnam, and Green Velvet are said to help relieve anxiety.
Locals in Southeast Asia have used Kratom for many years to help them get through the workday or to relax and relieve pain. Like any chemical compound that interacts with your physiology, there may be side effects, so the best route is to start small and increase your dosage a little at a time to see how your body reacts and how strongly you feel the effects.
If you would like guidance about what Kratom strain and dosage to take, our team of passionate experts here at Kingdom Kratom is available to answer your questions. We also offer Kratom sample packs so you can determine which strain is the best fit for you.